Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"Tricia Rose Interviews"

Hip Hop Wars by Tricia Rose

One of my favorite parts of this interview is when Tricia Rose refers to hip-hop as being "In the ICU," which is a great metaphor and way to make her thoughts stand out. Hip-hop today doesn't have the same meaning it used to. Every song is about drinking, drugs, weapons, murder, sex, and jail. Most of the songs are very repetitive. I agree with the author that hip-hop is "dumbed down" so it's less complicated to understand. The lyrics and the content of older songs are just so much better. I mean I listen to current hip-hop, but it's not the same. The songs are also played a lot more than they used to be on the radio. I feel like everytime I change the station, the same song is playing that I just heard.

Something I don't understand is why women MC's have to either appear as sexual or really tough. Why can't they just be themselves and have fun like the male mc's get to do? I think it's ridiculous.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny to me, but when Rose talks about Hip Hop, it feels really monolithic. I mean, we tend to talk about Hip Hop like it's just one genre, but there are so many variations out there that don't deal with drinking, drugs, weapons, murder, or sex. We just don't get to hear about them as often. Why do you think that is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice point from Marco above. And I was also wondering if the film we watched in class helped to answer any of your questions...

    ReplyDelete